About Holistic Helping Hand
Since 2005, Holistic Helping Hand (HHH) has supported families and individuals looking for peace, balance and wellness. Open, honest communication; active self-awareness; a desire to learn and grow; and intention to be of service are shared professional and personal goals of and HHH and its staff. New 2016-2017 offerings will include: private meditation practice, spiritual growth and integration, bodywork, and day-long in-city retreats. Hope you are as excited as we are to see what blooms! Please contact HHH for specialized retreats for yourself or your group.
Postpartum Philosophy: READ CLIENT TESTIMONIALS
As a postpartum doula I strive to be a supportive, informative, yet objective participant in postpartum family care by balancing my roles as student and teacher. As a student, I gather information from a client-household, respecting and honoring a family’s unique needs, goals and beliefs. As a teacher, I provide developmentally appropriate, evidenced-based information, resources, and related referrals to parents so they may educate and empower themselves and support their families. My time spent with a postpartum family enables me to:
- Identify and/or anticipate common postpartum challenges and offer coping strategies;
- Help manage household stress by alleviating some of the workload and attending to the family’s hierarchy of needs;
- Identify and build on a family’s strengths to increase their confidence and competence;
- Emphasize the importance of parenting partnerships and/or caregiving support networks so no one experiences the joys and challenges of child-rearing in isolation.
Wellness (Massage / Recreation) Philosophy:
- We are all personally responsible for our own health and well-being, and living well takes clarity, commitment, thought, education, planning, and effort.
- Society shares a collective responsibility for our communal wellness via attitudes, interactions, priorities, and intentions. Through informed choices, effort, active self-awareness, and shared respect we can all live healthy, happy, equitable lives.
- The art and science of massage therapy is a proven and effective way to support personal wellness goals and is an avenue for continued self-education on nutrition, fitness, stress reduction, flexibility and body-mind connection.
- Human beings are designed to be both active and restful. We are not designed to be sedentary.
- Use and health of one’s body should not be taken for granted.
- Humans are designed to spend time outdoors. Doing so is beneficial for body, mind, senses and spirit, and connects us to the greater environment on which we all depend for our lives and livelihoods.
Experience / Training:
- Certified Postpartum Doula, DONA International
- Licensed Massage Therapist, State of Maryland (#M04225)
- Nationally Certified Massage Therapist, NCTMB
- Certified Infant Massage Instructor
- Over 10,000 hours of newborn and postpartum family care experience, including multiples and preemies
- More than 1,000 collective hours of training in the areas of postpartum family care, infant and child development, parenting styles, postpartum adjustment, breastfeeding education / lactation management, massage, and first aid and CPR
- Healthy Families Home Visitor / Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention Family Support Worker
- Trained in T. Berry Brazelton’s Touchpoints Approach™
- Infant, Child, and Adult CPR Certification
- Graduate – Downeast School of Massage, Maine
- Bachelor of Arts, Environmental Geology – Miami University, Ohio
- Master of Arts, Spiritual Care (in progress) – Loyola University, Maryland
- Member, American Massage Therapy Association
- Member, DONA International
- Volunteer efforts over the years include: wounded warrior massage; programs offering support for the homeless, hungry, developmentally challenged, and inmate populations; and hospice and life-limiting illness massage
- Exposure to and appreciation for the variety of religious, spiritual, philosophical, cultural and scientific perspectives
- Active, holistic self-care commitment aimed at integrating / harmonizing body, mind and spirit.